Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Well Baby girls' appointment yesterday went really well. She has a cast on her leg from her hip to her toes. That was basically the worst of it. It was really aweful when they had to put the cast on her because they had to stretch her foot into a position that is not comfortable for her. She was crying so hard that for about 15 minutes afterward her little body was racked with sobs. It broke my heart. I hate the feeling that there is nothing I can do to comfort one of my children. She spent most of yesterday being held. This did not allow for me to get very much done but I had to comfort her. She was very uncomfortable adjusting to this cast on her leg. I think it is a little better today. We will have to return to the hospital every week to get a new cast. They think at this point this will go on for at least two months. Once her foot is positioned the way they want it to be then they will put her in these special shoes that have a bar between them. She will have to wear the shoes 23 hours a day until she shows an interest in crawling then we will be able to take them off to let her crawl around. This is going to be a very long process. I hope the worst is over. It is very awkward trying to nurse her with this big ol' cast on her leg but we are doing the best we can. I hate to complain about any of it because I know it could be a lot worse than it is.
One funny thing about yesterday, on our way to the hospital Wee wee asked "Mommy, why does BG need to go to the hospital? Is she sick?" I said "No, sweety she has a special crooked foot and the doctors need to look at it and decide how to fix it." Wee wee replied in a typical preschooler emphatic way "NO SHE DOES NOT!!!! SHE is perfect and beautiful!!!" I told her she was right BG is perfect and beautiful but she does have a crooked foot that needs to be fixed. Well, I guess #1Son (who is usually very nosey) missed that whole conversation because when I brought BG out from her casting #1Son noticed the cast and said "Ahh how how did BG get a big giant booboo!?!?!" He said this in his most accusatory voice. I explained again that BG has a crooked foot and that the doctors put a cast on it to help fix it. He also said that he was sure she did not because she is beautiful! And is just like him when he was a baby! I thought it was so neat that my kids never ever noticed that their baby sister had a deformed foot. They have never asked about it once and yesterday was proof they never even noticed it. Is that just like God? I mean he know we have flaws but he looks past them and only sees how worthy we are of his love! Wow!!!! Kids sure do teach you a lot! I hope I can remember to not even notice flaws in others!

Ok well today will be another busy day....hmm i wonder if there will ever be a lazy day again?
We have to go to the pediatrician again. I wish they made house calls. BG needs a check up and I have to request Biggoo's records to be sent to our new Pediatrician. He needs shots again. Ugh! This stuff is never ending. OH well at least I got to the grocery store yesterday. So maybe we can make a trip to the park today. I won't mention it until we are there though that way I don't have to hear "when will we go to the park??" ten thousand times.

Oh one more thing of note. Thank God for whoever invented baby swings!!! They are a life saver. This is the 1st time BG has let me put her down since her casting. YEA! She is actually sleeping good right now. And the others are eating breakfast and not fighting.....shhh...I better not spoil it.

More later......

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Praying that the cast does its job. We have a friend whose little girl had a congenital hip disorder... her hip would not stay in place. She wore a brace for several months, but is fine now, at around 8 months.

Another friend's nephew had a clubbed foot, and ended up needing surgery. He is fine now, too. The process was hard on the family, but thank the Lord for modern medical advances.

That's so sweet that the older ones didn't notice that anything was wrong.

Mommy to 4 little people said...

I forgot to mention that next week we will be having an ultrasound to check out her hip. The doc is concerned about a "click" in her hip. The hip that is affected is the same leg as the clubbed foot.

I know modern medical advances are great since if this had happened in the past she would have needed extensive surgery as well as castings and braces.

Thanks for the prayers I appreciate them so much.

Brando said...

I am a friend of Farm Wifes, and our sone was born with a club foot. His procedures will be a little different from your daughters. He had corrective surgery at 18 months.

His foot is just perfect. We call it his new foot becuase we never wanted to refer to it in a bad way.

Farmwife is sending you my email. Write me ANYTIME. I will be more than glad to answer what I know. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh, our son is adopted. He did not arrive home until he was a year old. Thus the surgery at 18 months and not sooner. We worked with the Shriners in St. Louis, and they were AWESOME!

B

FarmWife said...

I hope all goes well & Baby Girl adjusts to her cast quickly. I cannot imagine how irritating that must be for her.

And I love the analogy of your kids not noticing her foot being like God seeing past our flaws. Beautiful.